Building a playground yourself can save thousands of dollars and bring your community together. A typical community built playground project encompasses the following 8 steps.
1. Select a Site
Determine where your new playground will be located. Consider the age group and the abilities of the children who will use the playground. Keeping your community’s needs in mind will help you make decisions and guide you through the entire project.
2. Organize the Project
Set up a Core Committee to execute the project. This Core team will create sub-committees for recruiting volunteers, planning fundraisers, obtaining permits and equipment, notifying the public, organizing the build day, and planning a grand opening ceremony.
3. Design the Project
Conduct a meeting to brainstorm ideas for the playground’s design. Listen to ideas from children in you community. Your Core Committee and Team REIL can help refine the design to suit the playground’s site, budget, and schedule.
4. Raise Funds
Get your entire community involved in generating the funds to make your dream come true. See below for ideas on how to make it happen.
5. Set a Date
Call Team REIL at 888-GET-REIL to determine a build date and place your Miracle equipment order. You will receive an information packet that will guide you through the community build process from start to finish.
6. Prepare to Build
Make sure the site is prepared, volunteers are confirmed, and tools and materials are available. The most common problem on build day is lack of organization. Additionally, don’t forget to notify the media to help publicize the contributions of local businesses and individuals involved in the project.
7. Build the Playground
It’s time to make your playground dreams a reality! The dedication and commitment of your volunteers and the entire community made this day possible. Keep the energy level up by providing food and beverages for your hardworking volunteers.
Treat your community to a Grand Opening event. Your entire community will have a sense of pride and ownership as they enjoy their new playground year after year.
Our $1500 community build package includes:
- One organizational meeting, preferably ten to fifteen days prior to the build date.*
- Pre-assembly and footing layout one day prior to the build date.*
- Installation supervisor for one 10 hour work day.
- Use of our Team REIL Community Build trailer equipped with all tools and equipment you need to install your playground.
- Final inspection of your playground by a certified National Park Playground Institute inspector.
* depending on the size of your project, this may or may not be necessary.
A new playground in your community is within reach! With dedicated planning and careful organization, your Community Built playground project will run smoothly and efficiently. It is important that your team clearly understands which items your organization is responsible for providing.
- Manpower; volunteer committees to handle various aspects of your project such as fundraising, food service, public relations, installation, etc.
- 12-20 volunteers capable of manual labor for build day (18+ years of age)
- Concrete and bricks
- Pea gravel
- Water source
- Portable restroom facilities
- Tables and chairs
- Food and beverages for volunteers
The best way to capitalize on your fundraising efforts is to get your entire community involved. Use the following ideas, or come up with your own, to raise the funds you need to make your community build project a reality.
- Get the word out. Publicize your community build project with local media to create excitement and a sense of ownership throughout the community.
- Contact your local landscaping company or home center to ask for donations of building materials such as wood chips, pea gravel, concrete, etc.
- Solicit civic groups, service organizations, local businesses, churches, families and individuals for financial support or for equipment, food and manpower contributions.
- Determine what type of fundraisers you want to hold: dinners, games, walk-a-thons, auctions, tournaments, door-to-door sales, raffles, etc.
- Ask a company or a service group to adopt the playground as its community service project for the year.
- Sell customized gift bricks with names of contributors. These bricks can be used to create a new path or sidewalk in your new playground.
- Announce the project on coin canisters to be placed in local businesses for spare change contributions.
- Invite all sponsors, donors, and community leaders to your Grand Opening event to thank them for their support.
You can also raise funds for your new playground quickly through Miracle’s FunRaising and Grants for America’s Schools programs.
Miracle’s FunRaising program has helped hundreds of organizations raise funds for a new playground by offering programs with 50% profits. This is the highest payout of any fundraising program.
Additionally, your organization may be eligible for a grant through Miracle’s Grants for America’s Schools program. With this program, you have the opportunity to access part of $5,000,000 from Miracle’s Grant Fund to pay for your playground.
For more information on fundraising programs through Miracle Recreation, contact Team REIL at 888-GET-REIL.